Monday, June 22, 2015

Drop Spindle Spinning at Hogwarts

Yes, you read that correctly - there is spinning at Hogwarts!

I am part of the most amazing group on the most amazing site - Hogwarts at Ravelry, which is a group on the crafters' website, Ravelry. Hogwarts is a group of folks who love the Harry Potter series, and who spend their time crafting projects to submit for "homework" in the various classes and extracurricular activities at Hogwarts. I've been a member of the group for four years, and spent three of those years as Headmistress. And this term I'm teaching a Study Hall on drop spindling.

It's been really fun to do this, but challenging as well because I'm teaching via videos and links to information around the web, as well as typed explanations - it's definitely different than teaching in person! But it's a wonderful experience because every time you teach something - whether it be literature, math, tennis, or spinning - you have to think through what you're doing and what you believe in order to figure out the best way to explain it to your students - thus, I've always held to the belief that I learn more when I teach than my students probably do!

So far I've made three videos (with the help of my amazing videographer and dear daughter, Elise), so I will share those here - I hope that if you're not a spinner, you might decide to give it a try!




No comments:

Post a Comment